RAMALLAH, Sept 15 (KUNA) -- US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that the people of Gaza "deserve a better future," but that future cannot begin until Hamas is eliminated.
Rubio made the remarks during a press conference after meeting with Prime Minister of the Israeli occupation Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem on Monday.
He said the United States remains committed to President Donald Trump's goals of securing the release of all hostages, both living and dead. Rubio added that Washington is focusing on the role Qatar can play in efforts to free hostages held in Gaza.
Asked about Israel's strike in Doha, Rubio said the United States maintains strong ties with Gulf allies and is "focused on what happens next." He also said Western nations considering recognition of a Palestinian state had been warned of Israel's possible response.
On Iran, Rubio said the country possesses long-range missiles that threaten regional and European stability, and that its pursuit of nuclear weapons poses an unacceptable danger to the world.
Netanyahu, for his part, said the attack on Hamas leaders in Qatar was an independent Israeli decision, and he did not rule out further strikes anywhere. He added that the United States is Israel's strongest ally and that their alliance is "at its best." (end) nq.sa