KUWAIT, Jan 30 (KUNA) -- Kuwait's foreign minister said on Sunday that Lebanon's response to the initiative aiming to rebuild trust with Beirut is a "positive step," hailing the move as potentially instrumental in getting Lebanon and Gulf Arab states back on the same page. "We received a response from Lebanon last night, and Kuwait, along with other Gulf countries, will study this reply to determine the next step concerning Lebanon," Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Al-Nasser Al-Sabah, who doubles as state minister for cabinet affairs, told a press conference with Arab League chief Ahmed Abul Gheit after pan-Arab talks on a foreign ministerial-level.
Once the assessment of Lebanon's response is complete, Kuwait and Gulf Arab countries would take the appropriate steps that would "bode well" for all involved, added the Kuwaiti top diplomat, thanking Lebanese officials for their feedback on the initiative, which he said was not solely Kuwait's brainchild, rather, the "collective efforts" of all Gulf Arab countries.
While on a visit to Lebanon last week, Kuwait's foreign minister unveiled a proposal of confidence-building measures aiming to quell a diplomatic row between Beirut and Gulf Arab states.
The Kuwaiti foreign minister had branded the initiative as a GCC-Arab-international one. (end) ns.nam