KUWAIT, Feb 3 (KUNA) -- The Kuwaiti government on Wednesday imposed a series of restrictions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus after a new rise in the number of infections and related hospitalizations.
After an extraordinary meeting, chaired by His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs Anas Al-Saleh said the cabinet ordered closure of all commercial facilities, except for pharmacies, medical and food supplying outlets, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. every day and for one month starting from Sunday February 7.
The cabinet also imposed a two-week ban on entry of non-Kuwaitis to the country as of February 7.
Only foreigners who are first degree relatives of Kuwaitis and their travel companions of domestic and other workers are excluded from the ban, he clarified.
Al-Saleh also noted that the cabinet ordered full shutdown of all health clubs, resorts, beauty salons and hairdressing centers. It also ordered the closure of all restaurant reception halls from 8:00 pm and 5:00 am and allowed home-delivery services during the closure time.
The cabinet also banned opening of celebration halls and tents and all gatherings even for national days celebrations.
Al-Saleh noted that all sports federations are asked to suspend all formal and friendly sports activities.
The cabinet also imposed a one-week institutional quarantine on all arrivals at their expenses and another week quarantine at home, as of February 21 and for one month.
It also instructed the Civil Service Commission to set a number of penalties on civil servants who do not abide by coronavirus preventive measures.
The cabinet called on all nationals and residents to comply with preventive health measures and guidelines.
Al-Saleh pointed out that these measures were taken to achieve the desired goals for the interests of the society and individuals and urged all people to work as a teamwork to eradicate the COVID-19 pandemic.
He stressed that abiding by these health instructions and guidelines, assuming social responsibility and taking vaccines will lead to a safe return to normalcy.
Meanwhile, Minister of Commerce and Industry and Minister of State for Economic Affairs Faisal Al-Medlej told the cabinet, that upon instructions of His Highness the Prime Minister to avoid causing harm to owners of small and medium size enterprises due to the coronavirus restrictions, the national fund for supporting small and medium size enterprises postponed the due installments of this category for a year starting from the end of the previously announced second postponement.
The cabinet, however, noted that this decision would be reconsidered after six months.
Earlier, the cabinet was briefed on health situation in the country, which is witnessing a noticeable rise in the coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.
The cabinet listened to a presentation by Minster of Health Dr. Basel Al-Sabah and Assistant Undersecretary for Public Health Affairs Buthaina Al-Mudhaf on the latest developments in the world especially in light of the rapid spread of the new strains of the coronavirus cases.
The minister said that travel for tourism, gatherings, and non-commitment to preventive measures are the cause of the continued spread of the virus.
He told the cabinet about the precautionary and preventive measures that should be implemented to control the epidemical situation in the country as well as efforts made by the Ministry of Health to continue the vaccination campaign. (end)