by Mahmoud Bushehri AMMAN, April 21 (KUNA) -- Jordan preserved stations of Hejaz Railway as well as the cars as a heritage dating back to Ottoman's Sultan Abdulhamid II, who instructed construction of railway to carry pilgrims from Damascus, Syria, to Madina, Saudi Arabia, in a 1,320-km-long journey.
Jordanian governments maintained operation of the railway, whose first trip was in 1908, to transport tourists, students and families from the north to the south of the country.
The southern part of the railway is used to transport phosphate from mines to Aqaba Port.
A museum was established inside Amman Station in 2003 including more than 250 paintings and materials as well as architectural models all displaying the Hejaz Railway. (end) mjb.bs