TOKYO, Oct 22 (KUNA) -- North and South Korea, along with the US-led UN Command, agreed Monday to withdraw firearms and guard posts at the Joint Security Area in the Korean Demilitarized Zone this week, Seoul's Defense Ministry announced.
It is part of the results of the second round of working-level talks among North Korea, South Korea and the UN Command, which took place at the truce village of Panmunjom, Yonhap News Agency reported.
In accordance with the inter-Korean military agreement clinched last month, Seoul and Pyongyang agreed to disarm the Joint Security Area, with the UN Command overseeing activities inside the demilitarized zone.
"The two Koreas and the UN Command agreed to take measures to withdraw firearms and military posts from the Joint Security Area by October 25, and for the following two days, the three parties will conduct a joint verification," the ministry said in a release.
The three parties also "confirmed and evaluated the official completion of the demining operations," it said.
The security area was established just after the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended with a truce, not a peace treaty. It has also served as the venue for talks between the two sides.
Last week, the two Koreas finished their 20-day mine clearance work.
At Monday's talks, the South and the North were represented by Army Col. Cho Yong-geun and Army Col. Om Chang-nam, respectively.
The UN Command's delegation was headed by US Army Col. Burke Hamilton, the Military Armistice Committee secretary. (end)