WASHINGTON, April 25 (KUNA) -- The conservative majority on the US Supreme Court agreed Wednesday that US President Donald Trump has the authority to ban immigrants from certain majority-Muslim countries in order to protect the country.
The lower courts previously struck down three versions of the executive order, the first one was initiated over a year ago when Trump took office. Since the Supreme Court has more conservative leaning justice, it may be the president's best chance at succeeding.
"The Constitution and Acts of Congress confer on the President broad discretion and authority to protect the United States from all foreign and domestic threats," said Attorney General Jeff Sessions in a statement on the case.
He argued, "After multiple agency heads conducted a comprehensive, worldwide review of foreign governments' information-sharing practices and other risk factors, President Trump determined this travel order is critical to protecting the American people."
The White House said in a separate memo that, "President Trump's top priority is the safety and security of the American people.
The Proclamation's entry restrictions advance that priority. Without them, dangerous criminals or terrorists could evade detection and enter our country from nations that fail to fully provide the information we need for our screening and vetting processes."
The first iteration of Trump's Jan. 27 executive order barred citizens from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the US for the following 90 days. (end)