WASHINGTON, Jan 13 (KUNA) -- Residents of Hawaii were shaken on Saturday after receiving a false alert that a ballistic missile was threatening the state.
"Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill," said the alert.
Twenty minutes later, the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted that there was no threat.
Hawaii's Governor David Ige said he would "get to the bottom of this" and meet with the Defense department and the state's emergency management agency.
The US Pacific Command branch of the US military additionally confirmed that there was no threat.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters told reporters that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the false alarm and stated it was "purely an exercise." (end)