ISLAMABAD, Jan 13 (KUNA) -- At least eight Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and 30 Taliban insurgents have been killed in two different clashes in Afghanistan's southern Kandahar and Helmand provinces, said officials on Saturday.
The spokesman for Kandahar's governor, Qudratullah Khosh Bakht told media that at least 23 Taliban attackers were killed during an hour-long battle with ANA troops in Ghorak district of Kandahar.
He confirmed that four ANA troops were lost to the clash after dozens of rebels attacked the ANA and police posts in the district.
Provincial police spokesman, Zia Durani also confirmed the incident and the casualties, adding that reinforcements had reached the area and the situation is now under control.
Moreover, at least four ANA soldiers and seven Taliban rebels were killed in a clash in the Greshk district of southern Helmand province. The rebels attacked army check posts in the Torabi Hotal area of the district ensuing firefight that left nine soldiers wounded.
The attack came at a time when Taliban rebels have paced up their attacks across Afghanistan following the announcement of new strategy for Afghanistan by US President Donald Trump last year. The strategy supported more US military presence with troops tasked primarily with conducting counter-terrorism missions and training Afghan security forces. (end)