WASHINGTON, Jan 12 (KUNA) -- US President Donald Trump took to social media early Friday to confirm he has cancelled his February visit to the United Kingdom due to objections over the new American embassy in London.
In a statement posted on Twitter, Trump said he was not a "big fan" of the new USD-one-billion US embassy in London commissioned by his predecessor Barack Obama, calling it a "bad deal."
He also charged the Obama administration had sold the previous US embassy at Grosvenor Square in London for "peanuts." Trump said the new building in Vauxhall, south London, was in an "off location," adding: "Wanted me to cut ribbon.. NO."
Trump had accepted Queen Elizabeth's invitation for an official state visit when Theresa May met him late last year. The ceremony may instead be hosted by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. (end)