BRUSSELS, March 29 (KUNA) -- The EU said Tuesday last week has been an "important week" for Yemen with announcement by UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad, ceasefire would start in Yemen on 10 April, while UN-facilitated intra-Yemeni negotiations could resume on 18 April in Kuwait.
"The EU expects all parties to engage in good faith in the implementation of the upcoming ceasefire and on the upcoming UN-led talks," said Catherine Ray, spokesperson for EU High representative Federica Mogherini in a statement.
Mogherini looks forward to hosting Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad, in Brussels on 5 April to exchange ideas on how best to support this process and stands ready to provide further EU support to the benefit of all Yemenis, noted the statement.
"All parties should now capitalize on the progress made in achieving a dramatic decrease in violence and military activity in the border areas between Yemen and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia since early March thanks to direct contacts between Saudi authorities and the Houthis, and on the announcement by the Coalition that major combat operations in Yemen are coming to an end," it stated.
"Inclusive political negotiations are the only way to achieve a sustainable settlement to the current conflict, by implementing in particular the provisions of UN Security Council resolution 2216, and the outcomes of the National Dialogue Conference," it added. (end)