ISLAMABAD, June 30 (KUNA) -- At least five civilians were killed and twenty others wounded on Tuesday when a suicide bomber targeted a convoy of foreign forces with his explosives-laden car in Kabul, said officials.
The 119 police help line chief Brig. Gen. Humayun Aini told media that it was a suicide attack that targeted foreign forces on the airport road close to the US embassy and the diplomatic quarter causing casualties.
Kabul police chief, Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi confirming the casualties said that a suicide bomber in a Toyota Corolla car attacked a four armored-vehicle convoy of foreign forces.
Public Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Wahidullah Mayar in a statement said that the blast left twenty persons wounded, including three children and a woman who were evacuated to hospitals.
The Resolute Support Mission in Kabul stated that there were no coalition forces casualties in the attack. All personnel and vehicles had been recovered, the statement said.
Taliban rebels spokesperson, Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the responsibility of the attack through an email, said media reports.
The suicide attack came at a time when Taliban rebels have paced up their activities across Afghanistan following the launch of annual warm weather offensive in April after NATO/ISAF forces left the country at the end of last year.
Earlier in the day, at least two people were killed and 51 others including two policemen wounded in a suicide attack targeting a police station in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province. (end)