NEW YORK, July 8 (KUNA) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday "condemns" the recent multiple rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza, and was "extremely concerned" at the "dangerous" escalation of violence which led to multiple deaths and injuries as a result of Israeli "operations" on Gaza.
Spokesman Stephane Dujarric told the daily press briefing that the indiscriminate attacks from Gaza on civilian areas "must stop," reiterating Ban's call on all actors to exercise "maximum restraint and avoid further civilian casualties and overall destabilization."
"It is imperative now to restore calm. The unsustainable situation in Gaza will also need to be addressed in its political, security, humanitarian and development dimensions as part of a comprehensive solution," he added.
Ban's statement came as Israel bombarded Gaza today, killing at least 11 people, and vowed a long-term offensive against Hamas which sent scores of rockets on Israeli towns.
Asked about Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' request for an international and independent UN investigation into the death of Palestinian teenager Mohammad Abu Khudeir last week, Dujarric practically said the request was declined.
"There is an investigation going on by the Israeli authorities ... We have seen a number of arrests in this case, and we hope the investigation will continue, will be thorough, and that the perpetrators will be brought to justice," he said.
Abu KhUdeir's killing was apparently in retaliation to the killing of three Israeli youths the week before. (end)