KUWAIT, Nov 13 (KUNA) -- The Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday its
first case of the deadly MERS coronavirus involving a 47-year-old man who is
currently being treated, it was learned here at a press conference.
The affected patient suffers already from diabetes, high blood pressure and
has been quarantined for intensive care, said chief of disease control unit at
the ministry Dr Musab Al-Saleh.
The ministry is fully capable to treat this disease ever since its emergence
in Saudi Arabia last year, he said, noting that the treatment would be done
following guidelines set by the World Health Organization and other
To avoid this disease and others, he urged the public to exercise maximum
hygienic practices such as washing hands with hot water and soap, coughing and
sneezing in tissue paper, and keeping one's surroundings always clean.
Kuwait is the fifth Gulf Arab country this virus strain has emerged in
since the outbreak began in neighboring Saudi Arabia last year.
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which can
cause coughing, fever and pneumonia, has been reported in people in the Gulf,
France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia and Britain.
The World Health Organization said in August the number of confirmed
infections worldwide in the past year was 102. Almost half of those infected
have died. (end)
KUNA 131750 Nov 13NNNN