ROME, Dec 2 (KUNA) -- Italian Foreign Ministry summoned the charge
d'affaires of the Iranian embassy in Rome, due to recent storming of the
British embassy compound in Tehran by Iranian protesters.
Mehdi Akouchekian, the charge d'affaires of Iran to Rome, was summoned to
the Foreign Ministry, a ministry statement said.
The Italian government expressed condemnation of the acts of violence which
occurred at the British Embassy building, it said, affirming that a complaint
in this respect was lodged with the Iranian diplomat.
The statement said Rome was in full solidarity with the UK government, in
harmony with identical stances that had been expressed by the President of the
Security Council and the High Representative for Foreign and Security Policy
of the European Commission.
Italy formally requested clarifications from the Iranian government on
details of the attack and explicit assurances by the authorities in Tehran
regarding protection of the diplomatic corps.
For his part, the charge d'affaires affirmed Iran's commitment to
protecting the diplomatic headquarters and workers. Tehran will take every
possible precautions against such attacks in the future, he pledged.
Meanwhile, Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi has announced that Italy
is evaluating a possible decision to close the Italian embassy in Tehran, in
coordination with EU.(end)
KUNA 021044 Dec 11NNNN