GENEVA, Dec 21 (KUNA) -- A Swiss parliamentary fact-finding panel on the
crisis with Libya has announced it will not file a lawsuit to disclose the
ways with which classified information were leaked to the media nor against
the culprits in this matter.
Claude Janiak, panel committee chief, told the National Public Radio that
identifying the unknown personality which leaked information from the Federal
Council is extremely difficult, but said the council can open an investigation
in the matter if it so wishes.
Janiak said that the government and parliament will specify who will have
access to classified files in order to make it easier for the authorities to
identify those responsible if something similar happens in the future.
Earlier this month, Janiak said his panel would take the necessary legal
steps to track down whoever leaked vital information on the Swiss-Libyan
crisis to the media.
A panel report unveiled that a number of Council members, including Foreign
Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey and former Minister of Finance Hans-Rudolf Merz,
had breached their powers when they tackled the file.
The report blasted Council members for leaking confidential information to
the media pertaining to Switzerland's plans to free two of its nationals
detained in Libya last year, including the role of the Swiss military attache
It also referred 14 recommendations to the council on outlining a mechanism
to protect the confidentiality of information inside the body, as well as
unified strategies to deal with crises of foreign dimensions.
The report said it deliberately did not refer to sharp rows among Council
members on Libya in order to safeguard the secrecy of information and spare
the country problems with other foreign partes. (end)
KUNA 211303 Dec 10NNNN