BAGHDAD, Aug 20 (KUNA) -- The US military command in Baghdad said Friday
that the number of forces still deployed in Iraq was 52,000, lower than the
figure given the day before under the final pullout of combat troops.
It said in a release, handed out here on Friday, that under the military
drawdown plans, by September 1 the US military presence in Iraq is to be down
to 50,000, with their mission to be in supporting and training regular Iraqi
forces but not having combat duties.
These US forces are to be withdrawn by the end of 2011 pursuant to a
previously signed US-Iraqi security deal.
The US military command in Baghdad said the timetable would be strictly
The security agreement between Baghdad and Washington provides for US
combat troop withdrawal from Iraq by the end of August 2010, and full US
pullout from the country by the end of 2010. (end)
KUNA 201457 Aug 10NNNN