BAGHDAD, June 17 (KUNA) -- A gas pipe explosion taking place near a hunting
club western Baghdad resulted in the poisoning of at least 60 Iraqis, an Iraqi
source said Thursday.
The victims were transferred to Al-Yarmouk hospital following a "chloral
pipe" explosion that took place Wednesday night near the club located at
Al-Amirat street at Al-Mansoura neighborhood, a source told KUNA.
Iraqi authorities "started investigating the incident," it said, while an
Iraqi police officer said that a driver of a heavy-duty vehicle used for
drilling accidently pumped into the pipe as he was lifting waste.
The chloral leak along with the fire that followed the explosion left many
residents chocking and poisoned, he added.
The incident brings back to memory previous chloral explosions that took
place at Al-Taji area and along Baghdad's entrances. (end)
KUNA 171000 Jun 10NNNN