KABUL, Aug 29 (KUNA) -- Two Afghan civilians were killed in a suicide
attack targeting the US troops in southern Afghanistan on Saturday.
A spokesman for the provincial government said the attack was carried out
as the US troops were walking in a market of Shahjoi district of Zabul
Military officials confirmed the blast but said there were no casualties
among the US troops.
In the western province of Farah, a clash with Afghan police followed by an
air strike left six Taliban dead and 13 others injured.
The fight erupted in Khashrod district when Taliban attacked a police post,
police chief Faqir Muhammad Askar said.
He said helicopters of the international troops bombed the Taliban
positions resulting in the killing of six militants, adding that another 13
militants sustained injuries.
Several more militants were killed in an overnight joint operation by
Afghan and NATO troops in the northern province of Kunduz. Taliban did not
make a comment at this time.
The month of August became the bloodiest month of the year following the
death of a US soldier in Afghanistan on Friday. With the Friday's casualty,
the number of US soldiers killed here during the current month reached 46,
unofficial figures revealed.
During last month, 42 US soldiers were killed in the country which was
declared as bloodiest month both for the NATO and US troops in Afghanistan
since 2001. (end)
KUNA 291234 Aug 09NNNN