By Mokhles Khoshnaw
IRBIL, Jan 30 (KUNA) -- A district governor was wounded Wednesday in an
armed attack in southern Kirkuk, at a time when authorities worked out a
security plan to prevent the influx of armed groups from neighboring Mosul.
A police source told KUNA that armed men opened fire at the convoy of Taleb
Mohammad Mustafa, the governor of Salman Bek district, southern Kirkuk,
seriously wounding him and his driver.
The same source said two human heads were discovered near an ice factory in
southern Kirkuk today, and the bodies were nowhere to be found.
Meanwhile, following a meeting of local security authorities and officers
of the Multi-National Force, Kirkuk Governor Abdulrahman Mustafa said at a
press conference that a plan had been placed to prevent the influx of
terrorists, not only from Nineva, but also neighboring provinces.
He said the Iraqi government had dispatched a military unit to Mosul two
days ago to wage a "decisive battle" against Al-Qaeda elements following last
week's harrowing blasts in the city, which claimed the lives of 36 people and
wounded some 240 others.
According to governorate sources, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani arrived in
Kirkuk earlier today to discuss with officials several issues pertaining to
the city. (end)
KUNA 301321 Jan 08NNNN