BAGHDAD, Nov 5 (KUNA) -- The media coordinator for the Joint Multi-National
Force centre, Janah Hamoud, on Monday quashed reports that a US soldier in
Iraq, abducted with other two in May, had been found dead.
"No MNF press release or report mentioned that the dead body of a kidnapped
US soldier was found late yesterday," Hamoud said citing the MNF media advisor.
Hamoud noted that the MNF was seeking explanation from the Iraqi Ministry
of Defense which reported the corpse had been found.
Ministry spokesman, Mohammad Al-Askari, had told reporters that joint Iraq
and US troops "had found, two days before, the dead body of an abducted US
soldier north of Al-Hella."
On May 12 insurgents attacked a US patrol near Al-Mahmoudia, south of
Baghdad, killing four soldiers and an Iraqi translator as well as abducting
three other soldiers.
Later on "the Islamic State of Iraq" group claimed responsibility for the
According to the Iraqi Ministry spokesman, the joint troops had raided the
area of Garaf Al-Sakhr, 60 km north of Al-Hella where they found the dead body
of the third soldier and arrested four suspects.
Following the May kidnap, the US military announced USD 200,000 bounty for
information about the three soldiers. Ten days later one of the three was
found dead at the time when the group released a video saying that its
militants had executed the three. The tape only showed two of the soldiers'
IDs while the fate of the third is still unknown.(end)
KUNA 051341 Nov 07NNNN