British forces kill gunmen in southern Iraq
LONDON, April 14 (KUNA) -- British forces have killed eight gunmen laying
landmines in southern Iraq, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said in a statement
released on Saturday.
The operation took place in Basra on Friday night in the area where four
soldiers and a translator were killed in a roadside bomb earlier this month.
A spokesman for the MoD said it was not possible to directly link those
killed last night with last week's bombs.
"However, these militiamen were intent upon launching exactly the same type
of attack in the same area," he added.
Operations against rogue militia will therefore continue, especially so
against their leadership and their weapons stocks but also, as in this case,
The operation at 22:40 local time was carried out by the 2nd Battalion Duke
of Lancaster regiment on the outskirts of the Hyall Shuala district to the
west of Basra city.
Two roadside bomb teams were hit as they laid devices, with eight
understood to have been killed, the MoD said. (end)
KUNA 141543 Apr 07NNNN