RIYADH, April 30 (KUNA) -- Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry said on Wednesday that two deaths and 16 new cases - 10 men and six women - of the deadly coronavirus were recorded accross the Kingdom over the past 24 hours.
In the capital, Riyadh, seven new cases were recorded, some two in the northwestern region of Tabuk, one in the southwestern region of Najran and one near the Kuwaiti borders at the northeastern city of Hafr Al-Batin.
The triangle of the western cities of Makkah, Madinah and Jeddah recorded a total five infections, the ministry said in a statement on its website.
It added that the two deaths were recorded from cases that were announced earlier, namely of a 41-year-old man in Tabuk and an 88-year-old man in Riyadh.
Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates said that 23 patients diagnosed previously with coronavirus have completely recovered out the total number of confirmed cases.
"The Health Authority of Abu Dhabi (HAAD) is monitoring the situation of MERS coronavirus (MERS-CoV) very closely, in collaboration with the (UAE) Ministry of Health, and they wish to reassure the public that the current situation is not a public health concern," the ministry said.
"HAAD is also pleased to announce that 3 more of the individuals who are in isolation in hospital with MERS-CoV have now tested negative for the virus, and will be leaving hospital soon," the ministry added, and, "with this, the number of negative tested individuals has risen to 21."
UAE's Ministry of Health added that the World Health Organization (WHO) had confirmed that the virus is not a concern for public health at the moment, and that the current situation does not require a travel ban to any country in the world, screenings at different ports, or any restrictions on trade.
"The MoH confirmed that it is monitoring the situation closely to ensure the health and safety of everyone," the statement noted. (end)