ANKARA, July 12 (KUNA) -- Turkey and Iran have jointly called on Friday for
a cease-fire in Syria during the holy month of Ramadhan.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu and his Iranian counterpart
Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi, made the appeal in a press conference in
the Turkish capital Ankara, stressing that such an opportunity might give the
Syrian brothers time to fast during the holy month, expressing sorrow for the
continuous bloodshed in Syria.
Salehi, who arrived in Turkey last night, said that his country made a
similar call last year, adding that Muslim countries must be closer to each
other, especially during Ramadhan.
The Iranian minister expressed hope that such call would be answered by the
Syrian regime and opposition, wishing that such call to be extended to a
sustained cease-fire in Syria.
For his part, Davutoglu said that the opportunity of a cease-fire in Syria
might bring a political solution, adding that the massacres made by Syrian
regime must immediately stop.
The Turkish minister rejected as well calls that his country is sending
fights to join the Syrian opposition, calling on all foreign fighters to
depart the Syrian lands, despite their nationality and to allow the Syrian
people determine their fate in the future.
With regard to Egypt, Davutoglu said the they believe Egyptian people are
the ones who will form the future of their country, and all must agree to
KUNA 122349 Jul 13NNNN